In this article we will go through:
- How to add the new Facebook Ads connector
- Difference between the old and new connector
- Update your Custom Dimensions, Custom Metrics, Dashboards and Exports
- Timeline for shutting down Facebook (legacy)
In April 2018 we released a new connector for pulling Facebook advertising data called Facebook Ads which has a lot more capabilities than its predecessor in terms of what data it pulls.
The old connector has been renamed Facebook (legacy) and will be shut down over time, in favor of the new connector. You can see the timeline for this at the end of this article. When the old connector is shut down it will no longer download data, which means that in order to keep using Facebook advertising data in Funnel you need to create new data sources using the new connector. If your old Facebook sources have data going back further than two years you're welcome to reach out to us and we'll configure your new sources to accommodate for the historical data.
To make the transition from the Facebook (legacy) connector to the Facebook Ads connector easier, we have compiled a list of all changes from the old connector to the new one. If you're unsure of which connector you're currently using, you can check its type in the list of data sources in your Funnel account:
Differences between the old and the new Facebook connector
The main difference between the two connectors is that the Facebook Ads connector is capable of pulling data segmented in a lot more ways than the Facebook (legacy) connector, which was limited to Date and Campaign. There are also some fields that are removed in the new connector, a few differences in how some metrics are named and more options to control how attribution settings for conversion metrics work.
Attribution settings changes
When connecting a new data source with the Facebook Ads connector you get to select what attribution settings you want to apply to your conversions:
This setting will be applied when Funnel pulls data from Facebook and thus lets you pick attribution settings to use across your ad account. The Facebook (legacy) connector only supports Facebook's default setting (1d view + 28d click) but also breaks conversion metrics out into the discrete conversion options, which makes for a quite messy collection of metrics.
Update your dimensions and metrics
Since you are adding a new connector to Funnel, your existing custom metrics and dimensions will not automatically catch this and you need to edit them to make sure you get all the data you want.
We will help you and highlight where you need to transfer rules, but please make sure you go through these suggestions and verify that you get the right data.
Updating your dashboards and exports
When you've added the new Facebook Ads connector it's important that you update your dashboards and/or your exports with the new dimensions and metrics.
- If you are using Dashboards, start by selecting "Do not use in Funnel" on the Facebook (legacy) source. This will prompt error messages in the dashboard which will make it easier for you to change the necessary fields.
- If you are using any Data Warehouse Exports you need to make sure you have selected the new Facebook Ads fields that you want to export.
- If you are using Data Studio you also need to make sure your reports are showing the new Facebook Ads metrics.
- If you use Google Analytics Uploader you need to create rules for the new Facebook Ads source.
- If you are using our API you need to make sure you are not requesting any old Facebook (legacy) metrics or fields.
Timeline for shutting down "Facebook (legacy)"
- July 6, 2018: Deprecating Facebook (legacy). Remove the ability to create new data sources in Funnel using that connector.
- September 10, 2019: Removing the ability to Reconnect your ad accounts connected with Facebook (legacy).
- November 20, 2019: Shutting down Facebook legacy. We will stop downloading data for the ad account connected with Facebook (legacy).