Sales Report Metrics
The Sales report dashboard in Shopify's UI contains a few key metrics about your store (Gross Sales, Net Sales, Returns, Discounts etc). These metrics are not available through the Shopify API that we are using – they are however possible to recreate using the raw values available in Funnel. You can view Shopify's own description of the metrics here.
How to create a metric
This is how Shopify describes the metric Gross Sales in their article above:
"Gross sales Equates to product price x quantity (before taxes, shipping, discounts, and returns) for a collection of sales. Canceled, pending, and unpaid orders are included. Test and deleted orders are not included."
Product price is available in Funnel (in the product report), hence we make a new custom metric like this:
Here is a few calculations that previously worked for our clients:
- Order Price - Refunded Line Item Amount - Order Refunded Shipping Amount − Order Tax Amount Refunded
- Order Price - Order Amount Refunded
- Total sales - Shipping - Taxes + Order Refunded Shipping Amount
- Product Original Price (as seen in the example above)
- Net sales + Discounts + Refunded Line Item Amount
We have noticed that Shopify does not always include gift cards in their calculation of Gross Sales. If there are mismatches between Shopify and Funnel it may help to filter out gift card products, e.g. by using the SKU-dimension.
- Order Discount
- Order Discount + Product Discount
- Order Amount Refunded - Order Tax Amount Refunded
- Order Shipping Price
- Order Tax - Order Tax Amount Refunded
- Product Quantity - Product Refund Quantity
Read more about creating custom metrics here
Why do I have to this, why are the metrics not just added to the connector out of the box?
Thats a good question. As seen in the examples above, we have discovered that different Shopify setups seems to produce different values for these metrics.
But by reading Shopify's article about them and playing around with the raw values in Funnel, one can almost always get a matching report.