When building reports to analyze ad-level data it can be powerful to show the images/video of those ads.
This can be easily achieved in Funnel in 3 steps:
1) Connect your data source (to obtain the URL)
2) Export data to Looker Studio
3) Show images in Looker Studio
Once everything has been connected and exported, the report can display the image of the ads alongside the data. It will look something like this:
1. Connect your data source to obtain the URL
The URL to the image/creative needs to be public in order to display it in Looker Studio. To do that you can connect/configure your data source in Funnel on a creative/Ad level.
The field we recommend to use to display images or video thumbnails from Facebook Ads is called Ad Creative Image Permalink URL.
The image below shows how your Facebook data source needs to be configured in Funnel in order to access the creative link. The connection process will look similar for other platforms that contain public URLs.
Please note that not all platforms provide a public link to the Ad.
2. Export data from Funnel to Looker Studio
The second step is to create a Looker Studio connection. This can either be achieved with Funnel's direct connection to Looker Studio or by sending the data to another data destination first, such as a data warehouse.
Read more about Funnel's direct connection to Looker Studio
3. Show images in Looker Studio
Once the necessary fields are available in Looker Studio, there are two ways to display images/creatives from an URL.
Option 1: Change the field type in Looker Studio to URL Image
Looker Studio allows you to change how a field is displayed in a widget. This is done by clicking on the edit / "show as" button.
1) Click on the "Show as" button and then click on the "type" dropdown.
2) Select "Image" as display type.
The links are now converted and display as images:
Option 2: Create a new "image type" field in Looker Studio
The second option is to create a new field for your connection in Looker Studio.
1) Go to your Looker Studio connection - Your Looker Studio connection can be accessed either through the report (Resouces -> Manage added data sources) or by following this link.
2) Click on "Add a Field".
3) Name your field and type the following into the formula section: IMAGE(<Dimension Name>)
Note: Replace "<Dimension Name>" with the relevant field.
4) Click save.
Your new field is now saved as an image and is ready to be used in your reports.